Mar 10, 2011

The Unexpected Forces of Nature...

As a rule I try not to post things here which are not directly related to painting, but I couldn't help myself this time. Besides, in one way it is connected to art, although exactly how may be hard to explain.

I have spent much of my life over the last 27 years standing outdoors in one place. So much time, in fact, that many an odd and serendipitous thing has occurred on the other side of my easel. Things which might largely go unnoticed by the rest of the world, but caused me to lay down my brush so I could experience the moment. Unpaintable things. Little offerings given up by unknown forces. Foxes who popped up at my feet to sit and stare, spirit-waves forming in the middle of a lake, or other surprises which are perhaps too freaky-deaky or woo-woo to go into here. As a result, I have learned the world we inhabit is filled with many gentle surprises.

This YouTube clip runs a little over 4 minutes and may feel a little long to some. But I encourage you stick it out. The real action begins at the 30-second mark and I encourage you to watch it completely because, unlike most amateur video, it builds and builds and finishes poetically. There is no artifice here. Just a guy who was in the right place at the right time with a camera. Who was fortunate enough to have met the wind.

Enjoy:

0 reader comments: