Jan 16, 2015

Playing Hooky on a Snow Day...

Hey all, it's been a while since my last post on this blog. Actually, a long, long, while. And that's bad, bad, bad for maintaining my connection to you.



This video runs 3 minutes, 48 seconds and there is a bonus for those who make it to the end. (ha!) Facebookers and anyone who would like to watch this in high resolution click here

I have been preoccupied with a number of projects, presentations, and painting for a gallery show in Palm Springs this March. (More about that soon...) So I plead distraction via ADHD and my own over-scheduling. I know such things are not an acceptable excuse because I could have jammed in a post or two about something between then and now, but hey, I just got busy with so many darn things.

Sometimes I think the only way I get to paint undisturbed is if I blow out of town.
So last Tuesday I decided to take advantage of some unseasonable weather, unplug from 'teh internets', pack up some shiny new painting gear, and play hooky for a day up on Mt. Hood. You know, cut class for just one day. Managed to knock out two paintings when I did.

But still, I am way behind on some things and I committed to posting a comprehensive review of the new Strada Mini – which comes from the folks who brought you the original Strada easel last year – and I thought why not kill two birds with one stone and take the Mini up to the mountain and see how it works under more demanding conditions. (Spoiler alert: I was pleasantly surprised.)

I'll be posting my review of the new Mini next week. I promise. With comprehensive and comparable specs and my hands-on field impressions. So until then you'll have to have fun with this video post instead.

Gotta go now...There's something I need to do in the studio.

TJK

7 reader comments:

Tim Young said...

Great little painting Thomas. I haven't driven up the mountain yet this year. Now I can't wait for a sunny day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the awesome advice to go out and play! Don't your paints slop all over your palette when you are walking?
Nice painting, too love the colors.
Out here in the mountains of western Colorado, we have to wear avi beacons and carry a probe and shovel. My guess it wasn't steep where you were going, I hope. Be safe, we love your paintings and blogs!

Thomas Jefferson Kitts said...

Thanks Tim. I'll bring the painting(s) in the next time I see you at O'Connor's.

Thomas Jefferson Kitts said...

notjuniper: When the temperatures are in the 30s the paint remains sticky enough to not slide around on the palette while I am moving around. It's only when the temps rise above 60 degrees F I have that problem, and even then it is rare if there is old crusty paint under the fresh color. There's one argument for not cleaning your palette too agressively after a session, eh? ;-)

Chris Lally said...

What a treat! Thank you, Thomas!

Thomas Jefferson Kitts said...

Well Chris, you and your husband know snow, eh? ;-)

Celeste Bergin said...

Great video, Thomas...loved the painting!